Police to pay Sh60m bounty to individuals behind recapture of terror suspects
The convicts had escaped from Kamiti Maximum Prison on November 15.
In a statement, police spokesperson said the process is being subjected to verification, to ensure only deserving people are rewarded.
“The Government announced a cash reward of Sh20 million for information that would lead to the recapture of each escapee. Subsequent to the capture of the escapees, there has been a high public interest in the fate of the promised cash reward,” said the spokesperson.
Shioso said following the arrest of Musharaf Abdallah Akhulunga, Mohamed Abdi Ali Abikas and Joseph Juma Odhiambo in Mwingi, Kitui County, many people have come forward to claim they played a role in their arrest, hence the need to probe and find out who genuinely deserves the reward.
He however said the government will not disclose the beneficiaries because of the security nature of the incident.
“The Government acknowledges that the re-arrests of the suspects was made possible with the support from members of the public. Indeed, the accounts of several people who separately claim to have played a role in the capture have been reported extensively in the media. The Government intends to honour its pledge on the cash reward offer,” he said.
Shioso said investigations following the recapture of the convicts are progressing well, and that so far crucial leads are undergoing forensic analysis.
“This will, however, be subject to a due verification process to ensure the reward goes to deserving recipients. The security nature of the incident and the risk of harm to those who genuinely aided the capture of the high-value trio may militate against full public disclosure of the eventual beneficiaries of the cash award,” he explained.